LDA and Chemical Policy Reform
LDA is a member of the Safer Chemicals Healthy Families (SCHF) campaign. SCHF is a coalition of nearly 300 health and health professionals’ organizations, environmental groups, consumer and parent advocates, businesses, and environmental justice groups working together to promote safer chemical policies to better protect public health.
The Learning Disabilities Association of America and its state and local affiliate offices work to convey concerns and provide information to policymakers regarding toxic chemicals that can interfere with healthy brain development and learning.
In partnership with other neurodevelopmental organizations and SCHF partners, LDA urges lawmakers to adopt policies that would:
- Require that all chemicals be tested for health effects before they can be used in products;
- Phase out the worst, most dangerous chemicals in favor of safer alternatives;
- Protect vulnerable populations from toxic chemical exposures, such as children and pregnant women.
For more information on chemical policy and neurodevelopmental health see:
- LDA’s invited testimony before The U.S. House of Representatives, Committee on Energy and Commerce; Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade, and Consumer Protection, at their Hearing On Revisiting the Toxic Substances Control Act
- Safer Chemicals, Healthy Families Health Report on Learning & Developmental Disabilities. |